Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

So rather... Day Two Tokyo

I think that this is day two. I'm thinking that it is a little weird that I still unable to place time and location.

Today, we went to the Meiji shrine in the Harajuku district....


For those of you who do not know the district very well, it is the theme of many of Gwen Stefani's album. With its loud colors, distinct fashion, and constant hurry, the Harajuku district can be slightly seizure-inflicting at points. I much more appreciated the Meiji shrine and it's significance.

As a way of building relationships between countries, certain French families have donated barrels of wine to the Shinto shrine as a symbol. The French have kindled a special relationship with the Japanese that seems obvious through their love of the language and the food of the French.

One of the thought-provoking moments of the Shrine happened as a young woman was being married off in a Shinto ceremony. We all looked on as we remembered a tradition that once was sacred to our culture as well. I wondered whether at any point we will return to the sense of sacredness about marriage that it once had. There is a sense of commitment and beauty in the Japanese people unlike that of the Western societies that I have grown up in.

After our escapades in Harajuku, we went to the department stores in the Shibuya district. These are SEVEN floors high, including a grocery store. It seems that from observation the Japanese appreciate the presentation of items; whether through flowers or labels, the Japanese are careful to present themselves in a particular way.

After our many journeys through the halls of Shibuya and Harajuku, we sat to have a bottle of sake and watch the crowds. The diversity of style and technology in Tokyo ranges, but they all emanate one thing- transient beauty.

PS- if you're wondering why I haven't posted pictures of myself or my comrades, I can't seem to find the software to load the pictures yet. I will be trying to work its mechanics tomorrow. Also, in the future if you see fewer pictures of me, it's mostly because 1) I'm the one taking them and 2) I hate pictures, probably more than I hate allergies. Pretty strong. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment