Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kyoto and Otsu: Day 1

With many a sad face, we left Tokyo for Otsu. Otsu is where we will be staying for the majority of the time. It is a suburb of the first capital of the country- Kyoto. Kyoto is known for it's many temples, shrines, and universities. Also, Kyoto is the birth place of the Japanese flower art- Ikebana. Looking over the map in the train, it seems that we will be in a college town with geography fairly similar to our beloved Nashville. Beloved. Yes. Don't sass me. Just Kidding.

Here are the sad faces leaving Tokyo... 


Appacha, notice that there's a definite "toh" face in this picture.... and a backwards hat. For those who are unfamiliar with my grandfather's picture-taking habits, there tends to be a moment when he flips the ballcap backwards, yelling "toh" so the kids will look and smile. :-D

 I can also check off at least one mountain off my bucket list- Mt. Fuji. We passed the giant on the train to Kyoto. Here is the best picture I got while flying on the tracks...
 When we arrived in Otsu, we decided to go back to Kyoto and attend the Hollyhock Festival. This festival was on the move from shrine to shrine all day. Notice the incredible flower arrangements of the parade... Also, I can check off seeing a geisha from my bucket list.



All in all, the festival was like a larger version of the fair. We sat by the shrine and watched the best thing about Japan... the incredibly cute children. Oh my goodness..... Below are some kids too, a little older and probably a little crazier. Gotta love 'em. From left to right, Sean, John (no I didn't mean for that to happen), Sarah, Nicole, and Dustin.

Our accomodations here are particularly awesome. Especially, my room. I somehow managed to get the double room instead of the single. I have a bunk bed that will probably never get used unless I get to babysit a child somehow...

 Now these are the tiny bathrooms that I'm pretty sure were labeled "Rainu-size". The guys have already almost died a few times trying to fit in the tub...
 This is especially for Carly Jones. I was in Harajuku looking at used clothing in a store called Hinjro and happened to find the steals of a lifetime... I'm not usually a spender, but these dresses are KILLER! Together, they both cost me a little over TWO (yes, I just said TWO) dollars. Really, I'm sure what the labels are, but frankly, I don't care. They are both absolutely gorgeous. One of the other dresses I picked out the guys called "old maid" like... or matronly.

More adventures to follow. Love you guys! Miss you!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Such cool pictures and stories. Keep it going..I'm following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha how cool! i love seeing all the pic, the festival looked like it was epic!

    ReplyDelete